[How-To] Transfer Whatsapp Chat to Your New Android Phone
June 13, 2014
Did you just buy a new smartphone? Do you want to transfer or move your Whatsapp chat/conversations from your old phone to your new Android phone? The process is quite simple actually, but you must follow exactly the same steps below.
- Perform a backup of your Whatsapp chat on your old phone. Go to Settings, then Chat Settings and then select Backup Chat History.
- Connect your old phone to your PC using an Android File Manager like Mobogenie (Windows) or Android File Transfer (Mac). Copy the Whatsapp folder from your old phone to your PC.There should be 3 folders – Databases, Media and Profile Pictures. In the Databases folder, there will be various backup files that look like msgstore-2013-10-21.db.crypt. Take note of the latest file – you’ll need it in Step 4.
- Install Whatapp on your new Android phone but DO NOT start the app.
- Connect your new phone to your PC and navigate to the Whatsapp > Database folder – create the folder(s) if it doesn’t exist. Copy the latest backup file in Step 2 to this folder.
- Start Whatsapp on your new phone and follow the process, e.g. verifying your phone number. You should receive a message during setup that a back was found and if you want to restore it – select Restore.
- Now copy the rest of the folders, especially the Media folder, from your PC to the Whatsapp folder of your new phone.
That’s it, you’re done!
Share this article with your friends